Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

The Jan Fennell principles

I'm sure some people disagree with her, but I think she's a genius.

Jan Fennell believes that whereas us humans have evolved to adapt to the life we are living today, dogs haven't. By this, she means that we don't have a purpose for dogs anymore, really. For the most part, we have dogs because we love them, to enjoy their company. But in the process of our evolution, we forgot that dogs still function along the rules of the pack mentality. They are pack animals and read everything in their surroundings within that context. Even if you live alone with one dog, that dog believes the two of you are a pack.

Now, the most basic thing about packs is that they always have a leader. This means that your dog will immediately try to work out who the leader is and if you behave in a way that makes him think you are not the leader, he will take on the role, sometimes reluctantly.

The implications of this are ground breaking: you think you are taking care of your dog, that he is your responsibility, but he thinks the exact opposite. If your dog follows you around all over the house, it's because he wants to protect you. If he is anxious when you leave, it's because he is worried for you. You are his responsibility. IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. So I realized, I'm not taking care of three babies, my three babies think they need to protect me. Indeed, there was a bit of a misunderstanding here.

I'm not going to repeat here all Jan Fennell's arguments but I encourage you to pick up the book if it's something you are interested in. What I'm focusing on, now, is the principles that define the pack order and the key moments that will help me make them change their mind about what they think is the pack order.

1.Food: the pack leader's prime function is to ensure his pack is fed. In the mind of the pack members, that leader is the source of the food. I must become the source of the food. (I always was, but I have a system of self service in the house whereby the dogs have constant access to food. That makes them believe they arein charge since they are getting their own food)

2. Reunion: every time we separate and reunite the dogs will look to assess or reassess the pack order. In the wild, that order can change quickly, if a young one challenges the leader or if the current leader is wounded etc. Every time I meet them again after separation (even a few minutes apart count as a separation) is a chance for to show them I'm in charge of them

3. Dealing with potential threats: the pack leader makes sure the pack is safe. That is clearly my biggest issue

4. The hunt: the pack leader leads the hunt (the walks, if you will, the moment where you leave the den).

Comments

Popular Posts