Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Phone diagnosis


It's scary the amount of time we spend on our phones. And we don't even call anymore. I don't know why it's so addictive. It's almost as though our brains were wired to enjoy it so much that we can't stop. Although, come to think of it, I don't think anyone enjoys it that much. It seems like the action of browsing has a numbing effect on the mind that is soothing. In a way, you don't really think about anything else when you are doing stuff on your phone (I mean, when you are doing time pass type of activities, the phone still has a bunch of useful functions).

If I analyse my day it gets scarier. When I wake up, the first thing I do is check my phone. It's not even because I want to check messages etc but because it wakes me up much faster and less painfully then if I tried to wake up 'naturally'. Obviously, the few minutes I spend browsing, on Facebook or on Whatsapp as soon as I wake up invariably bring me to an article or a website I am interested in and I often end up reading on my phone through breakfast. When I walk to the bus station I am not on the phone (yippee, although this has probably more to do with my fear of walking into someone because I'm not watching where I'm going). And of course during my 1 hour commute in the bus I'm on my phone. I tend not to be on the phone when I'm in the office because, yes you guessed it, I am on the computer. If I take a break, however, I will check the phone.

When I leave the office, walk to the train station, and inside the train (yes, I take the bus to work and the train back, don't ask) I am...browsing on my phone. By the time I arrive home I usually have dinner and then, well then I have the choice between the iPad, the laptop, or the phone.

The only positive thing in this diagnostic is that when my husband comes home I don't even look at my phone (well, that's maybe a bit if a lie, but it's much much better).

The thought of what I have just wrote really, really depresses me. I should do something about it. A quick calculation tells me that I spend on average 3 to 4 hours doing nothing very useful on that bloody thing.

Some of the things I could do instead include:
-read a book
-write (on my iPad)
-watch the world around me (I did try that, it's really boring: everyone is on their phone)
-think

Comments

Popular Posts