Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Principle 1 - Feeding the pack

I have mainly been giving my dogs dry food. Unsurprisingly, they have lost interest in that food. I didn't think it was a bad thing because I assumed it meant they ate when they needed to. But I was wrong because Leo the Doberman has been putting weight on.

To get their attention (otherwise they don't care when I go in the kitchen to serve their food) I switched to wet food and prepared some rice, with lentils and meat. That definitely got their attention. They were getting all excited outside the kitchen door.

Following the Jan Fennell principles regulating feeding time, I served three portions in each of their bowls. I did that on the kitchen plan, to make sure it was higher than they were. I had prepared a small bowl of dry cereal which I hid behind their bowls. Once the food was ready, and I could see they were all watching, I took some cereal out of my bowl and pretended I was eating their food.

Jan Fennell explains that the pack leader always eats first, and only when he is done lets the others eat. Since we're usually not too keen to eat dog food, it's okay to do it with a substitute, as long as it looks real to the dog.

 
Here's my small bowl hidden behind the dog's bowls.  

 
I made sure the dogs were watching while I did my little acting piece.

 
Then I set the bowls on the floor and made them wait until I told them they could eat.

 
Palo eventually lied down. Apparently it's a good sign showing he is relaxing and respecting the rule.

 
Ready, get set, go! Time to eat, finally. It's been aaages since I've seen such a sight. They usually don't care about their food!

 
As usual, Palo got hold of the bowl with the most food in it. That bowl was for Leo.


 
The aftermath: bowls cleaned out.
Now I must repeat this every single meal...

Comments

Popular Posts