Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Sunday brunch


We don't often have the hubby at home on the week end so when we do we make sure we make it worth his while! Similarly, we don't use our terrace enough during the week as we leave early morning and come back late. But it's a beautiful terrace and if I could I would live there all the time (provided it's not too hot of course).

When we first arrived in Singapore that terrace was a source of anxiety. The dogs had not yet taken the time to look around their new home that they started barking hysterically at anyone who walked by and given that we're on the ground floor, a lot of people walk by. I remember thinking, at the time, that I wanted to kick myself for taking a ground floor apartment. I could already imagine the nightmare I had just got myself into.

Luckily, I quickly met a great trainer who gave me a few tips. He explained that the reason the dogs barked was to warn me of a potential threat. I should therefore thank them, and not punish them for doing their duty. It seemed silly, I feared I was going to reinforce their behavior. But the truth is it worked. I bought a small barrier that I put between the open sliding doors that way I could keep the sliding doors open but the dogs couldn't charge onto the terrace at people walking by. In addition, it helped give them the feeling that they had a smaller territory to guard.

One year down the line and I can leave the terrace door open and remove the barrier. They will still bark, but not every time and only once or twice before they settle down again. I have accepted that my dogs, for the moment at least, might not be the type to fully relax and let people walk by without barking but the current situation is more than acceptable. Even the neighbours are okay with it!

So it really is a great joy for us to be able to sit outside on our terrace and enjoy the late morning with our little family.


Comments

Popular Posts