Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Our first Argentine polo tournament




We arrived in Argentina in time to participate in a birthday tournament hosted by Mariano Darritchon from La Mariposa polo club. I think it’s fair to say it was a baptism of fire! It was much faster than what we have so far been used to. The biggest shock, however, was how good the children playing were. 

At the beginning of the first chukka I may have made a joke about the 13 year old boy playing in the opposite team. A split second after the ball was rolled in he’d taken the advantage and scored. I couldn’t believe it. (And yet another lesson in not judging appearances). 

It was a very hot day but nothing compared to what we were used to in Singapore and India. 




The ponies are beautiful, a mix of local working horse and thoroughbreds. Now, I understand why the Argentine polo pony is considered the quintessential polo pony (even though I do admit I love to play on ex-race horses). The tack and halters are gorgeous. 

Manjeev and I were in the same team and we came last. The losing team got a whip as a present, something both symbolic and ironic, given how fast the game was.









Comments

Popular Posts