Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

From Udaipur to Pushkar on horseback - Last Day


We made it! 

The last 20 km were quite a challenge. We had to share the road with truck loads and tractor loads of people on their way to the fair. Music was blasting and I suspect a lot of the drivers were drunk. One jeep drove past with a completely busted tire. We tried to tell the driver but no one cared. In a way it was nice to see the joy and excitement, knowing that we too were on our way there. On the other hand it was a rather stressful experience. Nevertheless, the horses coped extremely well. They were heroes!

Pushkar’s surroundings are completely sandy, unlike the semi-arid desert type we had been riding through. As we got closer young boys were riding quads around. Nearby, there was a giant advert about helicopter rides. Someone commented it felt like we were in Dubai. 

We were soon riding through thousands of camels, many of which were being ridden by tourists. Later on, we arrived in the horse section. Similarly, thousands of them were paraded around. Quite the sight. 

I have to admit I was a little sad to see so many horses tied up in the sun with, in some cases, all legs hobbled. I know I shouldn’t judge as things are done differently here but I couldn’t help feeling sorry for a few of them. 




A friend of Dinesh invited us to keep the horses under her tent. Apparently Venita is the only woman holding a stand in the fair. The television even came to interview her. I was very excited to meet her. When we arrived I jumped off my horse and introduced myself. She asked me where I was from. When I said I was French, she switched to speaking in perfect French. It turns out she is actually Swiss. She told me about her experience with horses in Rajasthan, a very male dominated world. It is great there are people like her, and especially women, getting involved!


I felt a little sad to be off the horse, after spending 10 days together. I think I could easily have ridden the way back but I made sure to keep the thought to myself. Manjeev would probably have murdered me. 









A big thank you to Dinesh and Krishna Ranch for this incredible experience. 

Comments

Popular Posts