Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Fetch

If you ever thought that fetching came naturally to dogs, BIG misconception. In my experience, it's the opposite. I've had the dog who just stares at you blankly when you throw a ball. Then there's the one who's figured out there's something exciting going on and who jumps around. By the time you've thrown the ball and gone to pick it up yourself he's still joyfully jumping around you. You've also got the hoarder, who runs to the ball and runs away with it (hello, Leo the Doberman). The best, I think, is the dog who runs after the ball, picks it up, and when you call him back he drops the ball and comes back running. So no, there's nothing natural about a dog playing fetch with you.

Thanks to Jan Fennell I recently learnt that playtime was not what I thought: it is another opportunity for the leader in the herd to show and reaffirm he's the leader. The dog must bring you the ball back as sign that he acknowledges you're the boss. It's as if he was bringing you back the kill from the hunt. (She doesn't say what do about dogs who don't even go and get the ball in the first place though).

I've been putting into practice most of the other stuff she suggested: gesture feeding, ignoring them when they want attention and thanking them when they warn me about a potential threat (poor condo gardener).

I have also tried playing with them in a different way. And I am so glad to say I have experienced a mini breakthrough: Palo fetched!! Ok, he quickly lost interest, clearly unimpressed by how excited I became, but he fetched! And tonight, Cookie fetched too. If I'm not mistaken in thinking she is the current leader of the pack, that should count as an even bigger break through.



Ok, OK, I admit that it's not entirely clear whether she is bringing back the ball to me or if she was planning to keep it for herself to chew on the sofa. For my own well being (and motivation) I will pretend it's the first option.

Comments

Popular Posts