Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

The start of a new life

Yesterday we left Singapore for good. We moved out. But we don't have a new home. Our home, for the next few months, is going to be our suitcases.

Moving out was a hassle. We had to reduce several years of accumulation of stuff into 60kg (we were allowed 30kg each on the plane). We gave away, and threw away. It wasn't easy because you do get attached to stuff. There are some things I saved from the dustbin a few times thinking I really couldn't get rid of it. But in the end if went back. And actually it didn't go into the dustbin. Hardly anything was thrown away because Anita, our maid, took absolutely everything she could get hold of. She even convinced some of her family members to come by the house and pick up some things. It was a nice sight. I much prefer thinking of these things being used again in someone else's home.

The handover of the flat itself didn't go very well unfortunately with the landlady refusing the release our deposit. I felt cheated, seeing as we had had very good relations and we had agreed in advance on what 'reparations' we would be paying for. But even though I feel angry, I am trying to move on. This is a new life. I don't want to relate to events in the same way as I used to. Anger has never helped anything. So I sit back, take a deep breath and try to believe that something will work out because let's face it it usually does. It's not easy. But if I don't work on myself now, I never will.

Manjeev has gone back to India but I still have a few days of work in Dubai before I am officially out of a job and join him in India. But in a way since we left the flat it does feel like the beginning of our adventure. I landed in Dubai feeling very nervous. I had thought I was going to finally feel free but in reality I was a mixed bags of emotions. As i waited for my suitcase on the luggage belt i looked up and saw an advertising campaign that said 'Tell tales few can tell'. And I felt better, much better.

Only a few more days to go...



With sweet Anita                                                        With Leon, our wonderful housing agent



Comments

Popular Posts