Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

An ode to Marula

 


The way Marula came into our life went something like this. 

Manjeev: "There is a puppy with paralysed back legs near the village shop"

Me: "What? Didn't you pick him up?"

Manjeev: "I tried to check him but he barked like crazy when I approached him, every one started looking at me like I was torturing him. So I left it there." 

The next day, I secretely packed a blanket into the car for my rescue mission. We stopped at the shop to buy stuff but the puppy was nowhere to be seen. I looked around and found him hiding under a plank of wood. Using the blanket I picked and wrapped him up. He didn't utter a sound. I went back to sit in the car. 

Manjeev: "Wait, what? You found him?"

Me: "Yep, and he was okay to let me pick him up."

Manjeev: "So what do we do now?"

Me: "We take him to the vet to get him checked." 

Manjeev: "And then?"

Me: "And then we take him home."

Manjeev: "Home? Are you serious?"

And then, just like that, Marula was home. His nickname was "the spray master" because he couldn't control his pee and, well, sprayed it everywhere. 

Marula had a very rough start in life, likely bitten by a dog on his spine, making him paralysed in addition to a gaping hole that would have quickly filled with maggots without the help of a vet. 

But Marula never felt like he needed help. In fact, he decided, from day one, that I was the one who needed protection. He followed me everywhere and barked on anyone who came close. 

Marula was so fast, he could keep up with the other dogs. He was always the last one to go to bed and the first one to wake up. He patrolled the farm to make sure we all stayed safe. He didn't want any wheel nonsense, he was perfectly able on his own. 

He even desperately tried to hump Shelty, the hound five times his height. 

Marula was a huge inspiration to all of us, but especially to me. He was so fierce, so proud. Nothing could stop him. Except a heart attack. When his heart stopped, it broke ours. He was too young, had suffered too much. But he'd taught us to live. 

Thank you Marula. We love you. We miss you. 

Comments

Popular Posts