Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Milking mares


Airag is made from fermented mare’s milk. Since the country is covered in snow almost 9-10 months of the year, the milk is collected during the summer months, from June to August, during foaling season. Whereas cows are usually milked twice a day, in Mongolia mares are milked avery two hours but a much smaller quantity. Logistically speaking, it is quite a mission given that the horses live free in herds. To avoid having to run after the mares every two hours, Mongols tie the foals near the ger during the day. That way, the mares stay near their foals, are easy to catch, and foals get used to being manipulated. 


horse nursery

I tried milking and for the city person that I am it felt very very weird. The Mongol woman who was supervising me told me I needed to have wet hands. With no immediate access to water nearby I thought she meant I should spit in my hands to make them wet, which I did. The woman looked at me in horror, completely disgusted. So I went back to the gear to wash my hands. I’m still not sure how I was supposed to get my hands wet but here’s a tip for you next time you have to milk a mare: don’t spit in your hands. (Aren’t you happy you know that?). Luckily, my mum did a much better job than me.  




mum milking


tasting session


For those of you wondering, fresh mare’s milk tastes like sweetened water. Mongols believe it is very good for you and your immune system. You can even buy powdered mare’s milk in the supermarket as a supplement. 

Who knows, it might become the next big health craze?



Comments

Popular Posts