Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

Rough love


I cannot begin to explain how much this big guy means to me. Leo, previously known as Charlie (and who knows what his name was before that) was abandoned twice and spent two years in the animal shelter. Given his breed he would have been put down in any other shelter but at Friendicoes SECA they have a no euthanasia policy unless the dog is terminally ill.

He scared me when I first saw him. I have to say that I never had any affinity with such breeds (by 'such' I mean breeds that are considered dangerous by many people, such as Doberman, Rottweiler, German Shepherd etc). This was not because I too thought they were dangerous but rather because my heart was with mongrels. The person in charge of adoption, who has since then become a friend, sensed my reluctance but asked me to take him for a walk before I sent him back. He walked fast but seemed well behaved. My husband was completely seduced and asked if we could bring him home.

When it comes to taking in animals, I have, as much as I could, always tried never to have to 'chose' the animal. I try to put that choice in the hands of circumstances, or faith, whichever way you look at it. This dog had been presented to me, my husband liked him and he had just spent two long years in a shelter. If anyone deserved another chance it was probably him.

That was four years ago.


Comments

Popular Posts