Vegan & Oil-free Recipes

The day I participated in a Mongol race


After all this business about horse racing I, of course, decided to participate. The problem was: I wasn't allowed. With my 60kg I'm almost double the weight limit but thanks to special connections I made my way through and was exceptionally allowed to participate. 

My horse turned out to be a little crazy (something about him not having raced in a while) so he just couldn't wait to get going. He was terribly excited when we went around for the traditional circles around the monks. All the children were looking at me and commenting. I asked someone to translate, he explained that they were all saying that I didn’t have a good horse. 


waiting for things to happen...


getting on the horse (without a saddle - trying to blend in)


not looking that confident


heading to departure with a curious little boy following me


circling around the monks and spectators before the race starts




spot the intruder




the group of girls 

By the time we reached the starting line he was already tired! He did give me a brilliant start and it's safe to say I have never gone as fast on a horse as I did during that first minute. He quickly slowed down though and we continued at our own pace. I wasn't the last one, however, there was one boy behind me but I suspect the only reason he was behind me was that he was rather fascinated by this over sized participant I was. 

Here's the video of the race. It is impressive to see all the kids go so fast. If you want to see me you have to wait waaaay until the end when my poor tired horse just about makes it. 







with the fantastic Unee helping me to cool the horse down.




Comments

Popular Posts